South San Francisco or Los Angeles, CA
Job Title: Cost Accounting manager
Job Title: Cost Accounting manager
The Cost Accounting Manager will combine cost accounting duties with other financial accounting responsibilities. Responsibilities will include assisting with standards setting, variance monitoring, cost-of-sales accounting, manufacturing accruals and intercompany profit eliminations. The Cost Accounting Manager will also have the ability to build out the cost accounting function as necessary. This position will report to the Vice President of Finance.
- Analyzing, and collecting data to determine costs of commercial and clinical inventory such as raw materials, direct costs and overhead
- Update standard costs on an annual basis utilizing Bills of Materials and ERP system
- Validate Cost of Goods Sold as part of month-end process
- Automate reporting and analysis using advanced Excel and Access tools, such as pivot tables and queries.
- Cost modeling and product pricing studies and new item set-ups.
- Preparing spending and variance analyses.
- Responsible for internal controls, financial control documentation and testing, and supporting audits.
- Ensures that items are correctly classified and statements prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Data management: supports Oracle processes and system development.
- Assists in the analytical and/or strategic function, including the development of budgeting, planning, and forecasting
- Ability to manage and allocate resources, set priorities, and coordinate with various departments and third party vendors.
- Conceives ideas for problem resolution (e.g., supports cost improvement teams).
- Providing management with key performance indicators for decision making purposes
- Assist manufacturing with periodic physical inventory counts and monitor cycle counting and investigate variances and resolve issues
- Strong technical accounting and research skills.
- Strong attention to detail is required.
- Must be able to work independently and a team player.
- Proven experience working in a team under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Advanced Excel skills are preferred.
- Knowledge of NetSuite or another accounting system is a plus.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
This position may manage all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of any employees reporting to this role within that department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this position.
The physical demands of the office are normally associated with extended amounts of time sitting and using office equipment, including a computer, keyboard and mouse, which can cause muscle strain. While performing duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and may require weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Travel may be required (up to 40%).
Required Education & Professional Experience
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting and CPA.
- Minimum 4-6 years of accounting related experience with a combination of public accounting and industry experience. Manufacturing experience in a SAP environment. (Prior experience in Pharma big plus)
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Experience with Oracle preferred
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry highly preferred
- Experience in Oncology highly preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that ae required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Back to Careers Page
Puma Biotechnology, Inc.
10880 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2150
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Stacey Willard, Recruiting Manager