South San Francisco, CA
Job Title: Director, Reimbursement and Patient Access Programs
Job Title: Director, Reimbursement and Patient Access Programs
Department: Market Access
Reports to: Head of Market Access
Date: March 7, 2017
Director, Reimbursement and Patient Access Programs and is responsible for providing strategic direction and leading the implementation of Pumaís reimbursement, specialty pharmacy strategy and patient support programs. This includes designing, implementing and managing the suite of patient services aimed at improving access to neratinib, developing and executing the limited distribution strategy and helping to facilitating reimbursement at the local level working with field sales, external partners and payer account managers. The Director will be responsible for managing a team of internal and external partners essential for the execution of these vital programs.
- Support the strategic and tactical development of limited distribution model for neratinib including, but not limited to:
- Negotiating with and managing Specialty Pharmacy and reimbursement hub partner agreements.
- Maintaining mutual compliance between SPs and Puma including tracking of performance metrics.
- Fostering relationships with SP partners and channel stakeholders (E.g. PCMA, Asembia etc.) to identify opportunities and anticipate market changes.
- Working with the data management team on inventory and sales data reporting that involves contracted customers.
- Utilizing availability of SP and reimbursement hub data in order to communicate with all stakeholders on trends impacting Pumaís business.
- Attending quarterly business review meetings with key SP accounts.
- Working with and supporting account managers calling on SP accounts.
- Direct account management responsibilities for some SPs especially during launch phase.
- Is responsible for the suite of patient assistance programs (commercial and government) including:
- Designing and managing copay programs, free drug and reimbursement assistance.
- Negotiating and securing agreement with co-pay vendor.
- Developing and implementing the process for conversion of early access program patient on to commercial drug where appropriate.
- Identifying, proposing, and working with patient assistance foundations for Puma where appropriate.
- Partnering with marketing to develop the branding, communication material (e.g. reimbursement guide, web portal etc.) and patient access programs for Puma.
- Develop the operational plan for mitigating and resolving local level reimbursement challenges including:
- Develop plan with internal and external partners to address and triage reimbursement issues identified or raised from field sales or customers.
- Implement a quick response process at launch to expedite issue resolution.
- Manage activities of contracted and/or in-house reimbursement support teams.
- Respond to reimbursement and access inquiries by customers, corporate and management.
- Effectively hire, coach, develop, motivate direct reports including:
- Regular and timely feedback through advanced coaching techniques,
- Development plans that develop talent for increased responsibility or in current roles,
- Early identification of performance challenges or deficiencies, and
- Creation of action plans to appropriately address performance gaps.
- Partner with marketing, sales and training personnel to develop material or training tools, share information and implement regional initiatives/strategies.
- Lead cross-functional commercial initiatives as assigned.
- Ensure teamís compliance with legal and regulatory requirements with respect to market access and reimbursement.
- Manage timelines, costs, resources, and report status and progress plan to management. Identify and review resource requirements.
- Identifying opportunities to streamline gross to net.
- Has excellent project and process management skills.
- Has strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Strong analytical skills.
- Has a good understanding of SP processes, data sets and pharmaceutical regulatory requirements.
- Develops people and the organization by investing in long-term development of others through mentoring, coaching, and continuous feedback.
- Able to work with all levels of management both internal/external.
- Develops solutions to overcome internal and external obstacles in the strategic planning process.
- Understands and leverages roles and responsibilities of the cross-functional team to drive strategic imperatives, including Marketing, Medical Affairs, Sales and Commercial Operations.
- Has broad functional experience in the US specialty market (particularly marketing, and/or account management and/or managed markets, distribution/specialty pharmacy and/or policy/government relations and/or patient advocacy/professional relations).
This position may manage all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of any employees reporting to this role within that department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this position.
The physical demands of the office are normally associated with extended amounts of time sitting and using office equipment, including a computer, keyboard and mouse, which can cause muscle strain. While performing duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and may require weekend work. This position is based in the South San Francisco office.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Travel may be required (up to 40%).
Required Education & Professional Experience
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or Masterís degree from an accredited institution (e.g. MBA, MSc).
- Minimum ten (10) years pharmaceutical experience and at least five (5+) years in market access.
- Minimum five (5) years leadership experience.
- Minimum three (3) yearsí experience working with specialty pharmacy providers or limited distribution vendors in an operation or account management capacity.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Previous experience working on a new product launches.
- Previous experience managing external vendors.
- Experience in market access or patient access at a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company.
- Other experience in a commercial function such as operations, sales training, market access marketing with a record of increasing responsibility.
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry highly preferred.
- Experience in Oncology highly preferred.
- Clinical experience (nurse/nurse educator, pharmacist, clinical/MSL, etc.) not required but helpful.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that ae required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Puma Biotechnology Inc is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to Careers Page
Puma Biotechnology, Inc.
10880 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2150
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Stacey Willard, Recruiting Manager